Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:51:32 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First SPAM prosecution in Washington State

Well there's an interesting law that went in under the illegal changing of
telephone service.  Something about SPAM can be allowed providing the
persons name address and phone number are in the upper body of the message.

I still reported the guys ass anyway, but the paperwork was on file at the
FCC or senate.gov, and looks legit (at a glance anyway).

At 10:29 PM 10/27/98 -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>The Project.Manager email is curious. It states compliance with new bill
>(not law) of some unknown governing authority's unknown law book. I smell
>HOAX all over it.
>
>It reminded me of something though.
>
>The State of Washington is prosecuting a spammer under our new anti-spam
>law. The penalty can be as much as 2,000 USD per email sent.
>
>One of the items needed is a legitimate return email adress. Let me ask
>you, Is Project.Manager@freebsd.org a legitimate address? (I really doubt
>it but must ask.)
>
>If not, then this spammer might be prosecuted under Washington State Law.
>This would be interesting to see how our law handles "mailing lists".
>Since I am a resident of Washington, every single spammer who hits
>FreeBSD-whatever could face charges.
>
>Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
>Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998