Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:48:07 +0200
From:      Anton <FreeBSD@list.ru>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: lpt0: Device is busy

Hello Warren,

Wednesday, October 23, 2002, 12:54:18 AM, you wrote:

WB> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Anton wrote:

>> When I try to 'cat < file > /dev/lpt0' I see answer:
>> Device is busy.

WB> Often this is because you're running the default kernel with the plip
WB> device configured.  This is a parallel-port device, so it ties up the
WB> port.  There may be another parallel device also, I forget.

Here it is part of my kernel configuration file:

device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus
device          lpt
#device         ppi   <-- I tried with this option switched on also

#device         vpo
#device         plip
#device         pps
#device         lpbb
#device         pcfclock

Next strings I see while my kernel loading:

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Strings from /etc/rc.conf:

# Printer daemon