Date:      Thu, 29 May 2014 10:00:01 +0200
From:      olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Raghu HB <raghu.hb@avagotech.com>
Subject:   Re: Creating new port

On 2014-05-28 12:01, Raghu HB wrote:
> Thanks Michelle for quick response.
>

> First I would like to explain what is the application and how I am trying
> to create port.
>
> We have some command line utilities to run on FreeBSD (Storage controller
> software).
> The installer should contain few binaries and scripts which will be
> deployed on FreeBSD OS.
> The binaries are pre-compiled and scripts will be used to
> start/stop/restart the services or daemons.
>
> Created below directory structure "/usr/ports/distfiles/":
>
> ./mrmonitor-1.1
> ./mrmonitor-1.1/bin
> ./mrmonitor-1.1/bin/mrmonitor
> ./mrmonitor-1.1/bin/mrmonitor/testmonitor
> ./mrmonitor-1.1/Makefile
>
> I created a tar.gz file which contains the above directory structure with
> the name mrmonitor-1.1.tar.gz.
>
> The Makefile contents:
> # $FreeBSD$
> PORTNAME=       mrmonitor
> PORTVERSION=    1.1
> CATEGORIES=     misc
> MASTER_SITES=
>
> MAINTAINER=    Raghu.hb@avagotech.com
> COMMENT=       MRMonitor
> .include <bsd.port.mk>
>

> Created a home directory /home/Raghu, Created 3 new files Makefile,
> pkg-descr
>
> The Makefile contents:
> # $FreeBSD$
> PORTNAME=       mrmonitor
> PORTVERSION=    1.1
> CATEGORIES=     misc
> MASTER_SITES=
>
> MAINTAINER=    Raghu.hb@avagotech.com
> COMMENT=       MRMonitor
> .include <bsd.port.mk>
>

> pkg-descr

> This is MRMonitor port
>
> pkg-plist
> bin/mrmonitor
> bin/mrmonitor/testmonitor
> @dirrm bin/mrmonitor
>

> Now I run the command make makesum which is successful, then I ran the
> command make package I got the errors (attached the error  messages) .
>
> May be I am doing something wrong in some basic configuration, please
> correct me.
>

> Thanks,
> Raghu

Reading the make-error log it looks like `make' is called recursive.
In case the the port does not compile anything try to add the keyword NO_BUILD=yes into the port Makefile and use a 'do-install:' target.

e.g.

COMMENT= 	...

NO_BUILD=	yes

do-install:
	${INSTALL} ${WRKSRC}/${ARCH}/mrmonitor ${STAGEDIR}${LOCALBASE}/bin
	${INSTALL_SCRIPT} ${WRKSRC}/scripts/$scriptXX ${STAGEDIR}${LOCALBASE}/bin
.include <bsd.port.mk>

If you could provide your full Makefile and a link to the distfile I'm sure the port can be finished in short time.
As a hint look at the simple sysutils/tw_cli port

--
Regards,
olli