Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:58:10 -0400
From:      Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
To:        "sysadmin@mfn.org" <sysadmin@mfn.org>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The NIS problem: a little more info...

At 9:30 PM -0400 7/14/1998, sysadmin@mfn.org wrote:
>	As you know, I have a machine which doesn't seem to grok
>NIS.  I put the ypserv into debug mode to watch the transactions, and
>to my surprise, everything looks in order - except that this box won't
>believe what it's told!
>
>(1) The box binds to my NIS server
>(2) It does abunch of queries/loads: groups, passwd, etc...
>(3) When I type in a login name not in it's local password file,
>it requests the appropriate record from NIS, and is given the proper
>response.
>(4) When I type in the password, it complains the login is invalid, &
>goes back to (3)

Have you checked whether the NIS server is supplying DES encrypted or MD5
encrypted passwords?  Take a look at:

	ls -l /usr/lib/*crypt*

Also in /etc/master.passwd, I believe that MD5 style encrypted passwords
start with $1.

---
Bob Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Ohio Northern University, Academic Computer Services, Ada, OH  45810