Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 16:08:21 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Manuel Munoz Baget <manuel@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium, scsi & NCR-PCI

On Dec 17, 20:14, Manuel Munoz Baget wrote:
} Subject: Pentium, scsi & NCR-PCI
}
} Hello there,
}
} I have a Pentium 90, 16Mb system with a NCR-PCI-scsi-2 controller.
}
} The scsi controller drives two devices:
}
} 	1. A scsi-2 Conner Hard drive 1 Gb.
} 	2. A scsi-2 Toshiba CD-ROM Driver
}
} I have tried to install FreeBSD 2.0.5 in this machine from boot diskettes
} and from a scsi-2 CD Toshiba driver.
}
} I loaded the kernel, reconized my hardware but it get frozen without giving
} me access to the installation menu.
}
} I installed successfully FreeBSD 2.0 in this machine, with the same
} configuration... I do not know what is happening now, neither our local
} guru...

Seems like the PCI bus scan finds the NCR chip
and the SCSI bus scans reports yoru drives ?

There have been reports of firmware problems with
Connor 1GB drives. These could be triggered by
optimizations in 2.0.5 the FreeBSD file system
code, if I remember right ...

Which drive and revision do you have ? (E.g. send
dmesg output from the 2.0R system.)

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160