Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:49:58 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "NetAdmin - FoxChat.Net" <Zapper@FoxChat.Net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /tmp

NetAdmin - FoxChat.Net <Zapper@FoxChat.Net> types:
> I'm running 3.5-Stable and every time I add a user via /stand/sysinstall
> I get something similar to the following - "can not write to /tmp - To
> many links"  Is it safe to rm -rf /tmp?  Is there a way to clean up the
> /tmp or links?  I've looked all over the help files in www.defcon1.org
> and can't seem to find anything other than a patch for 4.2 for a
> vulnerability in the /tmp.

You need to have a /tmp. However, it's not really safe to remove
everything in it while you're running multiuser. You can safely go
into it and remove everything older than your last reboot by hand.  To
clean all of it out safely, you should be single user.

This is one reason for wanting to run an mfs or md based /tmp.

	<mike