Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:52:24 -0600
From:      Richard Hodges <richard@hodges.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "Li, Xiao" <xaol@amazon.com>
Cc:        Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Analysiser <analysiser@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Passphraseless Disk Encryption Options?

On Tuesday 08 September 2015,"Li, Xiao via freebsd-hackers" <freebsd-hacker=
s@freebsd.org>=20
wrote:
> Agreed, that=B9s why I=B9m stuck in here: it seems like something either
> unachievable or haven=B9t been done before.=20

The decryption key has to come from somewhere. Usually someone types it in,=
 but they key=20
could be on removable media, like a USB memory stick, a CD ROM, floppy, etc.

I think you hinted at secure boot. Do you trust the security of the motherb=
oard? But if=20
someone steals your hard drives, can't they also steal your other hardware?

It might be interesting to think about an external key, such as in a USB st=
ick, that could=20
be set to self-destruct (eg, overvoltage) coupled with a tamper sensor.

If you could describe your threat model in more detail, and tell exactly wh=
at parts are=20
trusted, someone might have a helpful idea.

=2DRichard