Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 10:11:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Sayaninawaz@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Need to Get one freeBSD.

On 30-May-01 Sayaninawaz@aol.com wrote:
> Hello Sir/Madam,
>
> I have tried a lot to download Freebsd Opeating system but I couldnt
> undernstand your downloading processure or I might be going through wrong
> procesure.

Given that you have a fast internet link and a network interface card:

Make two floppies per instructions in
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/floppies/README.TXT

You will end up with two 1.44Meg floppies with kern.flp and mfsroot.flp on them.

Do NOT copy the flp-files onto the floppies you MUST use the fdimage.exe program
located under
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/tools

Insert the kern-floppy and reboot your machine. Insert mfsroot floppy when
prompted. Often you can skip the 'visual configuration' part and just let it
boot the system for you.

You should then select the Standard install and follow instructions.

> Please I need to get one free sample CD of FreeBSD if it is without any
> mailing charge I will realy appreciate that.

There are no sample CD's. Either you can burn one yourself with the iso-image
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.3-install.iso

or better still buy a complete distribution from www.freebsdmall.org.

It is MUCH easier to use the CD than using modem to get the files. I would
definately recommend you to get the 4 CD's, just once anyway, since they are
crammed with helpful files. Not to mention the rescue (fixit) cd which has
helped me in the past.

The cost of the CD's is very tiny indeed compared to what you get.

> Thanks for you precious time,

You're welcome.
/M