Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:34:22 +0100
From:      Peter McGarvey <pmcgarvey@vianetworks.co.uk>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Information on FREEBSD

* Ken McGlothlen [Wednesday 28 August 2002 11:16 am]
>  Haresh Sawlani <haresh_s@yahoo.com> writes:
>  | Dear Sir/Madam,
>  | I am Haresh Sawlani. I am student from the University of Southern
>  | Queensland, Australia. I am currently writing up an article on
>  | Unix-based "open source" operating systems as an alternative to
>  | Windows-based systems.
>  | As such, I am hoping and would truly appreciate any information that
>  | you could provide me with on the history, technical features of
>  | FreeBSD as well as any advantages it may have over other Unix-based
>  | and Windows-based operating systems.
>
>  I hope you'll pardon me for saying this, but we frequently get requests
> from students asking us, essentially, to do their homework for them.
> This is always a little discouraging, and I'm afraid we've gotten a bit
> jaded by these repeated requests.  We haven't quite gotten to the point
> of complete cynicism, but . . . well, you get the picture.
>
>  On the plus side, all the information you require is already at our
> website:
>
>          http://freebsd.org/
>
>  I assume you got the questions@freebsd.org address from the website
> anyway; I don't know why you couldn't have bought yourself to continue
> reading the website to find the information you sought.  (It's a process
> we like to call "research.")
>
>  Best of luck to you.

>  with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Fair's fair, the advantages of FreeBSD over other Unix-based and
Windows-based operating systems are not readily documented.  Yes, I know
what some of them advantages are - because I use FreeBSD as well as Linux,
Solaris and Irix.  And of course it's self evident that a casio calculator
is marginally more useable than Windows.

But when I first started using FreeBSD I had not a clue as to what made it
better than any other Unix - all the info I did find was mostly subjective
and therefore unreliable.  The only thing I had to go on was a contact who
swore blind it was indeed the best OS ever; and who was willing to hold my
hand as I found my path up the learning curve.

If I'd found a Linux guru rather than a FreeBSD guru I'd be sitting here
believing Linux was the best OS ever.  Like all the other misguided fools
in my office :)

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey