Date:      21 Oct 1999 15:23:41 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from dos  problem

Jean-Mark Dupoux <jeanm@dupx.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> I put 40 mb for </>, 91mb <swap>  and 30mb </var> on wd0s1,   and  856 mb
> </usr> on wd0s4 in the labelling screen.
>
> Unfortunately when it came to the install,  I got hit  by the same near
> instantaneous  error message:
>
> > "error mounting /dev/wd0s3  on  /dist :  invalid  argument (22)"

Maybe I am all wrong here, but shouldn't that be a FreeBSD `partition' and not
a slice?  I mean, something like:

    error mounting /dev/wd0s3a on /dist : invalid argument (22)

When, during the installation you're making the partitions for FreeBSD, there
are two stages AFAIK.

    1. Create the BSD `slices', with the correct slice type.
       This should give you the /dev/wd0s3 thing with a slice type of 165.

    2. Enter the disklabel editor and create the proper partitions.
       This will let you create /dev/wd0s3a, /dev/wd0s3b, etc.

Trying to mount /dev/wd0s3 as a BSD partition is probably going to fail
because `mounting' makes sense only for partitions and this is a slice.

Perhaps you did not specify correctly the mount points in the disklabel
editor?  I can't think of something else right now...

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]