Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:27:46 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tracing process and file events

I want to set up a FreeBSD system to log some fairly coarse information
on processes and files, as:

   *  process start and stop times, pid, ppid, ...
   *  file opens, closes, unlinks, ...

Looking at ktrace, it seems like I could _almost_ hang it on pid 1 and
stand back.  Unfortunately, the disk would fill up pretty fast and I
might also get into some issues with ktrace tracing itself.

If I could convince ktrace to stop and move to a new output file every
so often (eg, once a minute), I could set up a background task to go
over the output files, boil them down for the desired information, etc.
It appears, however, that most of ktrace's heavy lifting is done in the
kernel.  I'd rather not venture in there, for fear of breaking things.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate way to get this sort of information?

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.