Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:34:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updated RTSP/ RTP streaming patch for "mplayer"

Hi,

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> > Does it support playlists ? ;-)
>
> I always ask myself what the application for video-playlists actually
> is. Streaming MTV?

Thanks for your question. Yes, it has something to do with "MTV", if it is
the pop music TV station. It started with those mpeg audio playlists, you
know two mp3s are more than the sum or something, to create collections,
sotosay albums of 6 or 8 songs, in my case the old midi2cs and csound
stuff. I really liked it, although is is not much in use in the net, to
have more than one mp3 in a playlist. There could be "radio
programs" sotosay, construed with a simple textfile. Dont know why it isnt
more in use. Maybe the breaks between the mp3s in the playlist. But I
would say that this is the reality of the net. The net isnt FM Radio.

Video playlists could be used to form some kind of MTV, pop music clips,
but I am more into other stuff. Eisenstein had his movie theory, think it
is still up to date, that movies are a collection of clips. And if you see
those clips sotosay as "entities of meaning", Sinneinheiten in german,
Eisenstein spoke of "sensations", it doesnt matter if there are short
breaks between the clips. Sotosay movies in ascii instead of compiling in
together with premiere.

And one idea behind is that those clips can be anywhere in the web, that
people "recycle" things, giving them a new meaning by combining them with
other clips.

Something like that. Hope it makes sense in english.

But even a single file in such a list is fine for "one click streaming".
Video solutions mustnt be more complicated than audio solutions.

Most people dont understand why such solutions should be simple, simpler
than what the industry offers, but at least video/vnd.mpegurl and mxu are
in apaches mime.types.default

Best,

H.