Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:57:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>, Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net> types:
> > It is generally a rule of thumb amongst mechanical engineers that there is a
> > direct proportion between the number of moving parts in a given device and
> > the probability that it will cease working as a result of these moving parts.
>
> Among EEs of my acquaintance, the rule is applied to parts, not
> simply moving parts. I once had one decide that a wall socket for
> the ethernet was a bad idea, because it was an additional failure
> point. So they didn't use any...

Hmm...  I would call that foolish logic.  While the wall jacks (and
the patch panels you should be putting on the other end) do introduce
two extra connection points in the link, there are other factors that
they apparently didn't think about that can also contribute to link
failure.  Physical stresses are one very common reason, and the wall
jack provides a physical stress relief point.  The cable inside the
wall will never move once you stick that jack on the wall and also
terminate that cable to a patch panel in the wiring closet, and if you
happen to stress or flex the cable between the jack and your equipment
enough that it fails, then you replace that cable and that cable only,
and maybe the jack if you have managed to damage it, instead of the
entire cable run.  Reliability of these connections depend greatly on
the quality of the jacks and plugs you use, of course.  If you use the
high quality (i.e. 3M, Siemens, AMP, Krone, etc.) equipment instead of
the bottom of the barrel stuff, the likelihood of a link problem is
extremely small.  A proper cabling system installation offers many
other advantages than just physical stress relief (less maintenance),
too -- cable management, easier maintenance, and easier
adds/moves/changes are among them.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org