Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 12:31:59 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@pooh.elsevier.nl>
To:        Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: is -STABLE really stable?

On 07-Dec-99 Morten Seeberg wrote:
> From what I understand about STABLE, itīs a branch of RELEASE, but with
> bugfixes, newly added features, which has been tested in CURRENT?

        Not quite. Each release is (apart from the N.0 release) is a fixed
point on the -stable branch (the N.0 release was off -current for 3.0 and I
guess will be for 4.0 too).

> But from my experience, STABLE is often is more unstable than RELEASEs, can
> this be true? Is it due to the changes which are made on a day-to-day basis
> on STABLE??

        It can be true, RELEASEs usually follow a beta test period during which
the commits are constrained somewhat. STABLE usually contains bug fixes and
features merged from current.

> One of my friends said, that the best way to know which STABLE version is
> truly stable was to follow the stable@freebsd.org mailinglist and watch for
> which STABLE version there werenīt any problems with.
> This is very time consuming, so I was wondering, whether there is a way you
> could let us know, when there is a "good"/"better" STABLE out?

        Usually it is getting old by the time anybody could know. In theory
every checkin should make -stable better (but this is not a perfect world).

> There is 5 days between 1104 and 1109 and only 1 day between 1109 and 1110,
> does this mean that 1109 is more stable than 1110?

        No it just means that the snapshot didn't get made for a few days.