Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:59:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com, as_hombert@ibm.net, Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Booting FreeBSD with Win NT

Replying to something to which I've already replied (and keeping
the context):

I've been bothered by Mark Ovens' inability to NT multiboot FBSD
on the bios boot disk using /boot/boot0 as bootsect.bsd (see
prior posts in the thread for nomenclature).  I just did the
FAQ's dd procedure on my FBSD disk and the 512 byte file I
recovered is identical to /boot/boot1, not /boot/boot0.  If I had
just looked at the FAQ, I would have known that by looking at the
dd command line.  So the procedure of using /boot/boot0 as
bootsect.bsd _is_ only useful when you want to hop to another
disk to boot FBSD.  When FBSD is on the disk booted by the bios,
using /boot/boot1 as bootsect.bsd should give you the same result
as the dd procedure.  (All this /boot/* stuff is appropriate only
for a FBSD version with the 3-stage boot scheme.  3.1-RELEASE and
later?  Do not know the exact chronology.)

To paraphrase Mike Smith in a posting to -hackers (or -current,
can't remember which):

/boot/boot0 is the FBSD Master Boot Record (mbr), It puts up the
F?  prompt and loads

/boot/boot1, which is silent, but loads

/boot/boot2, which twiddles the propeller.  You can interact with
/boot/boot2 if you are quick on the keyboard.  It, in turn, loads

/boot/loader, which reads /boot/loader.rc, etc, and contains the
bootforth interpreter.

So /boot/boot0 is written to occupy an mbr slot.  /boot/boot{12}
occupy the first 8K bytes of the FBSD _Unix_ boot partition
disklabel.  This is generally the a (Unix) partition in the FBSD
slice (fdisk partition)--see the dd command line in the FAQ
entry.

So, if you want to hop to a second disk to boot FBSD, you have to
hop to the MBR on the second disk (i.e., it cannot be
"dangerously dedicated" -- it must contain a proper mbr).  This
implies the use of boot0 as bootsect.bsd.  This disk hopping
protocol is standard procedure, independent of whether or not you
are using the NT boot loader.  If you want to stay on the bios
boot disk, you need to use boot1 (either recovered by the FAQ dd
procedure, or just copied from /boot/boot1 of an installed
system).  I'm pretty sure of this analysis, but not absolutely
positive.  Someone with a range of hardware: check all this out
and let us know the result, please.  Isn't the PC hardware world
wonderful? :-(  Suns are so much easier.

There still remains the possibility (probability?) that the
kernel will become confused about what disk it is on.  So you may
need to help it out with an entry in /boot/loader.rc (see prior
posts), or, if you are bypassing the 3-stage boot stuff, by an
entry in /boot.config similar to:

1:da(0,a)/kernel -c

There remains the possibility that this may be modulated by the
way you have your bios boot scheme set up:  The details may be
different when you have a boot sequence of CDROM->C: versus
C:->CDROM, etc.

Please someone tell me if I'm wrong on any of this analysis.  If
anyone wants to use any of my text in this mail message in a
documentation update, feel free (I give my permission).

Bud Dodson