Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:37:57 +0000
From:      "Ronald E. Eakins, Sr." <reakins@nms.net>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS "slow"

> From:          "Patrick Burm" <patb@commlitho.com>
> To:            "Robert Shady" <rls@mail.id.net>
> Cc:            <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject:       Re: DNS "slow"
> Date:          Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:42:04 -0700
> > > Reason I'm asking...some of my users are getting
> > > "error getting address for xxx.xxxx.xxx" for my
> > > own mail server! they can try again a second time
> > > and everything is fine. The ones who complain the
> > > most are the people with 14.4s.

I have seen this problem under the following conditions:

You have a Primary and a Secondary server and the clients point at
the Secondary server first.  Since the secondary server has to obtain
info from the primary, it goes to get the name from the primary, but
by then, the client has timed out.  Now the client tries again and
this time the secondary has the address in it's cache so the lookup
works.

OR:

Your primary DNS is getting it's names from some server higher up
the tree which is a secondary server.  As and example - U.S. West
uses multiple DNS Servers of which only one is  the primary.  And of
course they don't want everyone under them to point at one machine so
one of their secondaries is what your primary points at.  Same
problem occurs, the machine your primary is pointing at has to go
resolve the name and guess what, the client times out.  Don't know
how you can really fix that one.  Check with whoever it is that is
the next guy up the DNS tree supplying you.

> They could be timing out. Have you had any problems
> > looking up dns's locally (Aside from below).

There are lots of other issues here with DNS lookups.  How you have
configured the DNS can adversely effect performance.  Those first few
lines regarding timeouts are lots more important than people give
them credit for.  My source for DNS questions is here:

http://www.acmebw.com/askmr.htm

I would suggest you try this link.

Ronald E. Eakins, Sr.
Network Engineer