Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:13:02 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Nathaniel G H" <bsd_appliance@bemail.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DHCP "refresh" question

boo. hiss. reboots are unnecessary. just kill the 'dhclient' and restart it.
when THE DAEMON is restarted, it will request an ip from the dhcp server. If
the provider has the link back up, it should be no problem. You might want
to try this manually, just to make sure this is the case in your scenario.
It was the case when i had bellsouth.net for ADSL service. Now I have
Telocity, all that is required is for my link to come back up. The link to
this ISP requires no intervention when I lose/regain connection. If HUPping
the dhclient isn't enough, you might need to cycle power to the ADSL modem.
See what your needs are and maybe you can write a script to serve your
needs. If it requires cycling of power to the modem, you'll need to find
another solution. I'm planning to do something along these lines for a
project at work soon... using a FreeBSD machine to remotely
energize/deenergize a relay at a customers site for cycling power to a
dialup modem.
-Otter