Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 12:46:29 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X under FreeBSD and Linux

Hi,

My comments are mixed in below...

Evren Yurtesen writes:
    Hello,

    I have a p200MMX with 24MB RAM and S3 Virge 2MB graphics adapter.
    I use both FreeBSD and Windows on the same machine.

    But as far as I have found out Windows is working far faster than
    FreeBSD.

    For example I run Netscape on Windows and FreeBSD (even the same
    version)
    and FreeBSD is getting frozen for a while and using hard drive so much
    (possible swapping?) and after it everything is working slowly, and even

With netscape running start  "vmstat 5" in a separate terminal window.
When "FreeBSD is getting frozen" do you see much activity?  That can
indicate a memory shortage.

    [...]
    One of my friend told me that his Redhat Linux was working far faster
    than Windows in his machine. Can this be true?

Sure. Unix systems work best when there is enough core memory for
all active processes and their data.  If you are seeing lots activity
in vmstat as you use your system then I'd say you are short of
memory.  Using "ps -auxww | less" and looking at the RSS column I
calculate that my Xserver is using 18Meg and Netscape is using
13Meg or 31Meg.  If this was your case then your system will page
every time netscape wants to draw something on the window.

Get as much memory as you can afford.  If you have to choose get
lots of slow cheep memory rather than a small amount of fast
memory.

    by the way what can be wrong with my computer?

The linux vs. windows vs. freebsd argument is a red herring.  Both
Linux and FreeBSD will have poor performance when they are starved
for memory.  Windows is performing better in your case because
netscape esentially has the whole computer to itself when it is
up.

    Evren Yurtesen
    yurtesen@ispro.net.tr
__