Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:17:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make index breaks at top level

On 14-Dec-98 Steve Price wrote:
> This will work with perl-5.00502.  Don't know about in any other
> versions since I haven't tried it.  You might try changing the
> offending lines.  For instance one of them looks like this:
>
>     my $name = shift;
>
> Change this to the following two lines:
>
>     my $name;
>     $name = shift;
>
> Do this same sort of change for each of the offending lines and
> if it works, send me a patch and I'll commit it. :)

Actually, it didn't like the "my $name"  lines so I just replaced

     my $name = shift;

with

     $name = shift;

I still ended up with two errors afterwards, though:

# perl -c make_index
syntax error in file make_index at line 33, next 2 tokens "->"
syntax error in file make_index at line 38, next 2 tokens "@$pkg"
make_index had compilation errors.

- From the offending code lines, it would seem that they are trying to treat pkg
as an array of structs instead of a struct as it is treated elsewhere.  I'm not
Perl literate, though, so that is just a guess.  I suppose Perl5 let's you get
away with stuff 4 didn't?  Another fix might be to have ports/makefile use
perl5 to run the script instead of perl, but then you are requiring users prior
to 3.x to install a port so they can use the ports.  Thanks for responding
though.

BTW, can somebody please tell me what the "my $<varname>" does anyway? (i.e.
will it break if it is taken out or is it simply an optimization).

> Thanks.
>
> -steve

- ---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/