Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 16:37:49 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Sat, Feb 28, 1998 at 07:52:01PM -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand, I can't really see much advantage from a newbies
> > list.  Maybe you should present more arguments.
>
> i concur with greg on this one.
> what would a newbies list offer that questions does not?
>
> a newbies list would be somewhere "safe" to ask simple
> questions.....well that's part of questions.

Sorry, but that it is not and never can be.

>  besides questions offers some more advanced material as well.

And that is its real value.

> how long before newbie with a little knowlege abandon the
> newbies list in favor of the other lists?

Hopefully pretty quickly. I'm not trying to help you by getting newbies out
of your hair. I'm trying to help newbies by creating an enclave which offers
something quite different to what already exists.

>  a list of only newbies would not be very useful.

It would be extremely unuseful to anyone but a newbie. I expect that
everyone except newbies will hate the idea, and newbies will love it :-)

> i dont understand the purpose or attraction of such a list. ;(

And I can't cause you to understand any more than you can cause me to
understand FreeBSD. We're too many poles apart to have similar motivations
and perspectives, though neither is less real than the other.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more