Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 23:52:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        rjob@gulftel.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp and internal modem

bob olbrich writes:
 > Here's some new thoughts. During the FreeBSD installation procedure
 >you have to select "ppp interface on serial port 1 (com2)". This
 >sounds strange.  We are trying for com1 are we not.

No.  Like all reasonable systems, UNIX begins labelling serial ports and
other resources with the first counting number, 0.  If you have two
serial ports, they are numbered 0 and 1.  DOS, developed by illiterates
for illiterates, calls these COM1 and COM2.  If you select the ppp
interface on serial port one, otherwise known as sio1, you will be using
the interface DOS calls COM2.