Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:47:40 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 2.2.1 problems w/fresh ports install

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:20:53AM -0500, H. Wade Minter wrote:
>I installed KDE 2.2.1 from ports the other night.  Everything seemed to
>install fine, but when I put "exec startkde" in my .xinitrc file, the
>problems start.
>
>KDE sounds like it's starting from the audio, but I don't see the startup
>splash screen.  Then, when it gets into KDE proper, there are no icons in
>the toolbar or anything.

Check your build logs (or use ldd on binaries) to make sure you don't
have mutliple or conflicting versions of the image rendering libraries.
Multiple installed versions of libpng can cause this behavior... I've seen
it on RH Linux Rawhide when the system was half-upgraded to a new
libpng version.

The libpng inconsistencies caused exactly the symptoms you describe when
I ran into the problem a month or so ago. Only solution was to make sure there was exactly one version of libpng installed.

--
Alan Eldridge
from std_disclaimer import *