Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2016 23:29:09 +0100
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp(8) PPPoE fails when ifname contains "."

Hey everyone,

I was recently trying to set up PPPoE to my ISP, over my network interface
which is configured with 802.1q VLAN tagging using vlan(4).

I utilised the vlans_<interface>=<tag> feature described in rc.conf(5),
which creates a cloned interface named <interface>.<tag>.

In /etc/ppp.conf I used the syntax PPPoE:<interface>.<tag> and this exposed
an interesting issue - ppp(8) would not set up the PPPoE interface
correctly when the interface contains a period.

When I manually created the vlan clone interface with a name not containing
a period, ppp(8) worked fine.

Has anyone seen this before? A quick review of the ppp(8) code, and I am
struggling to see the exact point where this syntax problem is.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com