Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 00:09:40 +0100
From:      andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New motherboard breaks tape drive

John Fieber writes:
> I have an Archive Viper 150 tape drive that has served me well
> for many years.  I have never had difficulty getting the maximum
> performance of about 100K/second writing speed from it...
>
> ...until upgrade my old 486DX33 motherboard to a Pentium 100
> (ASUS).  Now the tape drive will no longer stream and typical
> writing speed has dropped to about 50K/second.
>
> My first thought was something with the new SCSI controller (ASUS
> SC200) was the problem so I put my old Adaptec 1542C in, but the
> result was the same (I even tried putting the drive alone on the
> bus). I tried team, but it didn't help.
>
> I'm fishing for where to look next.  Ideas?

Did you upgrade only the board or did you additionally a
	- FreeBSD release change
	- FreeBSD kernel recompile

How is your kernel config file. What's the SC200 ?
PCI controller ? AHA 2940 compatible or what ?

I get about 300-600 KB/sec throughput using dump and a
TDC 4222, which uses data compression.

I'm getting these numbers with -current and 2.2-Release
(Beta of today). BTW: My numbers depend heavily on filesystem
fragmentation.

BTW, did you try team from the ports collection ?

team(1) - parallel pipe, allows asynchronous io

This can be used to speedup data throughput for tar and dump
and friends ;-)

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH