Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:30:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-20000307-CURRENT kern.flp keyboard probe questions

Mike Smith wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> > > I don't understand.  What do you expect the boot loader to do?
> >
> > I'm not sure, that's why I asked the list :-)  Really, what I was asking
> > is if there is a better way to detect a serial console.. Rather than the
> > current logic of "If there is no keyboard, there must be a serial
> > console".  I can think of N reasons why a box would have no keyboard
> > attached, besides having a serial console.
>
> Actually, there aren't very many.  If you don't have a keyboard, you need
> a console of some sort.  If you don't have a console, you've made enough
> modifications to be undaunted by removing two bytes from /boot.config.

"Don't have a keyboard" != "No keyboard detected" != "Serial Console".
I understand the reasoning and rationale behind the logic used, and I
agree with it, to a point.  Read below.

I have indeed disabled the keyboard probe in /boot.config when doing many
installs to avoid the problem that I mentioned... But I always yearned for
something a little less awkward, when I can otherwise still use install
disks from the distribution images.

> > I know very little about serial consoles, but can they not be probed
> > somehow to determine their existence?  If that's not possible, at least,
> > what I'm suggesting below still sounds reasonable.
>
> No, they can't be probed, and no, if you think about it for a minute,
> what you're proposing is entirely nonsensical.

Ok, so they can't be probed.  However, I HAVE thought about it for a
minute, and, to be honest, I still don't see why my proposal is entirely
nonsensical. :-)  Would you mind explaning your argument?  For clarity,
I'll explain mine again... Perhapas we're just not on the same wavelength:

From boot(8):

	   -P	probe the keyboard.  If no keyboard is found, the -D and
		-h options are automatically set.

Instead of that behaviour, I am suggesting a more forgiving behaviour:

1. Probe for a keyboard.
2. Is there a keyboard?
 Yes - Boot from the local console
 No  - Display "Keyboard not found.  Using serial console in 10 seconds,
		press any key to abort"
3. Was a key pressed in 10 seconds?
 Yes - Boot from the local console
 No  - Display "Booting from serial console"
       Boot from the serial console

Nothing is lost, besides an extra 10 seconds at bootup, and a smidgen of
the code segment.  If no keyboard is detected, and there is indeed a
serial console, it will still be used automatically.  If, however, there
was a temporary probing problem (i.e., the keyboard was not yet plugged
in), the installer can smack a key and continue on.

I'm open to the idea that I'm being nonsensical (I'll usually be the first
one to admit it), but, in this case, I just don't see your reasoning,
Mike.  Please clarify.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2