Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:06:19 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stuck

On 13 February 2011 16:51, Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net> wrote:
> This is a new one for me. =A0I decided to do a manual update on my 8.1 bo=
x,
> starting with csup. =A0Buildworld went fine, as did buildkernel. =A0Howev=
er,
> when I tried to install the new kernel installkernel choked with an error
> message telling me that it could not proceed because the root partition w=
as
> full. =A0What! =A0I did a df and sure enough the root partition was overl=
oaded.
> =A0When I installed the system I used sysinstalls recommended sizes for t=
he
> root partion, which is around 10G. =A0Anyway, when I rebooted, the system
> rebooted into single user mode, and that is presently where I stand. =A0I=
 have
> no idea how to proceed at this point, and would appreciate any help in
> fixing this. =A0Of course, I smell a newbie type error in all of this, bu=
> haven't quite figured out where I went wrong.

To fix your booting, I suggest that you check that /boot/kernel.old exists:

# [ -d /boot/kernel ] && echo Yes!

If this doesn't say Yes! then stop, and wait for someone to help you
out a little more.

If it does:

# /bin/mv /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.faulty
# /bin/mv /boot/kernel.old /boot/kernel
# reboot

That should get you back up until you can fix your other problems!

Chris