Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:18:05 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   afio & SCB 0xc - timed out while idle

Hello,

I've been using dump happily with my tape drive for quite some time.  I
decided to try afio, to add compression to my backups, but I've run into
a problem.

afio compresses each file separately (so that one munged block on the
tape doesn't screw up your entire backup).  The problem is, when I get
to a very large file, such as an ISO 9660 image, this compression takes
a long time [1], and the SCSI system chokes with

(sa0:ahc0:0:3:0): WRITE FILEMARKS. CDB: 10 0 0 0 2 0
(sa0:ahc0:0:3:0): Deferred Error: NO SENSE
(sa0:ahc0:0:3:0): SCB 0xc - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0xa
(sa0:ahc0:0:3:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
(sa0:ahc0:0:3:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34a
(sa0:ahc0:0:3:0): failed to write terminating filemark(s)
(sa0:ahc0:0:3:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state.

I have to reset the bus (with camcontrol) and rewind the tape before I
can use the drive again.

Why is my SCSI drive so impatient? :-)  It is a
  <ECRIX VXA-1 V2181819 x001>        at scbus3 target 3 lun 0 (sa0,pass5)
by the way.

I'm open to any suggested workarounds.
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org

[1] This is doubly bad.  For reasons I'm not entirely sure of, afio
    wants to compress big files _twice_.  The man page says,
        If the compressed version of a file is larger than this (or if
        afio runs out of virtual memory), gzip(1) is run twice of the
        file, the first time to determine the length of the result,
        the second time to get the compressed data itself.
    Presumably afio does no writes to tape during the first compression,
    and this is when the `timed out while idle' occurs.