Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 03:43:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        ORKOPOULOS@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Peter Orkopoulos)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help!

Peter Orkopoulos wrote:

> I have a pentium 100 with 8 megs of ram and I tried to
> insall FreeBSD from the FTP site, by using the installation
> boot disk (boot.flp, but when I was asked for an IP
> address, I called my ISP (ATT Worldnet) and they told me
> that I don't have ONE.  I get a different IP every time I
> connect (or something like that)  And there was also a lot
> of info that I couldn't provide, so I aborted the
> Installation. I couldnt boot normally, it said "F1...BSD"
> then "Default F1" and started the bsd setup again. I used a
> boot disk and I HAD NO HARD DRIVE.  So I formatted my
> computer, but now it says "F1...dos" then "Default F1".
> I've stated everything I've done, and just want to know how
> to fix my computer like it was before. By now its probably
> obvious that I know absolutely nothing about UNIX or
> FreeBSD except that I've heard that it's better for tcp/ip
> connections, servers

	the "F1...dos" then "Default F1" prompts are from the
	boot loader.  this little program allows you to select
	which operating system to use, if you have more than one
	operating system installed.

	to remove the boot loader use: "fdisk /mbr" in dos.
	the "/mbr" tells "fdisk" to replace your Master Boot Record.

	if you have any more questions, please write.

jmb

	UNIX and FreeBSD are a lot more than just tcp/ip ;)