Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:38:08 -0700
From:      Darrin Chandler <dwchandler@stilyagin.com>
To:        backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd brute force attempts?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 02:22:41PM -0700, backyard wrote:

> well you could pretty much eliminate the problem by
> disabling password logins to sshd and only accepting
> keyed logins. Then only a key will work.

This is probably the best thing you can do to keep the bad guys out.
This is what I'm doing on every box I have control over. It does not
stop anyone from trying, but nobody gets in. I have yet to see even an
attempt by script kiddies to use keys.

> Frequently changing the keys would ensure hackers
> would have to want to get in REALLY bad in order to
> gain unauthorized access by a brute force attempt.
>
> Depending on how hosts login and their systems, you
> could perhaps run a login script that regenerates keys
> automatically and distributes them to the user every
> so many days or whatever so the system appears
> passwordless to them, and secure to the outside. This
> may be more trouble then you are looking for though.

I think this isn't needed, and is somewhat silly. Like all (decent)
implementations of pubkey, the key is only used to authenticate and
exchange a symetric session key. So the pubkey sees little actual use,
compared with the session key.

Anyone who knows better please correct me.

dwchandler@stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |