Date:      Wed, 01 Apr 1998 02:57:20 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6; buildworld with -O3, groff fails...

Hi!

I tried a 'make clean buildworld' on a newly cvsup'd 2.2.6-stable with
/etc/make.conf's CFLAGS set to -O3 -pipe -m486

groff fails to compile, and gcc dumped core possibly with error 6?. (I
talked to my girlfriend over the phone, and she told me this by reading
the screen, so I can't be more specific. I can give you more details
when I get home.) The machine worked for about 10 hours (yep, it's a
slow bastard; that's why I'm trying optimization :-) until it came to a
halt this way.

Also, I'd like to know if there's any point in optimization more than 1?
Will it be any faster? Will -O3 just eat memory, or will it do any good?
Has anybody done any test on the subject on the FreeBSD source tree?

I realize it depends on the hardware; this is a cyrix 5x86; 100MHz; 64Mb
and a few gigs on two IDE hd's. Performance has been very poor,
especially with X & KDE. Staring Netscape takes at least a minute... :(
Hoping to gain some speed this way...

Regards,
Palle