Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:52:11 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Gavin=20Kenny?= <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        Martin Klaffenboeck <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Porting Tips

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Gavin Kenny wrote:

>  --- Martin Klaffenboeck <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at>
> wrote: > Am Di, 2002-06-25 um 11.23 schrieb Gavin
> Kenny:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I'm going to have a go at porting the VideoLan
> > > Server to FreeBSD. It was written for Linux and
> > > there is a Darwin (Mac OS) port, so I'm kinda
> > > hoping it shouldn't be too hard (famous last
> > > words).
> > >
> > > I never written anything for FreeBSD, so what
> > > should I look out for? Any good pointers, tips,
> > > different naming conventions for libraries etc
> > > or better still HOW-TO's, would be really useful.
> >
> > Do you know the Porters Handbook?
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
> >
> > Martin
>
> I have had a look at it but it seems more concerned in
> building a FreeBSD Port (a fantastic invention by the
> way ;-) rather than how to take a piece of software
> that was written for Linux (or any other operating
> system) and getting it to compile and run on FreeBSD.
> Am I being naive?
>
> Gavin

Have "ported" some applications to FreeBSD that where
meant for Linux and Solaris. What I did was compiling
the code with a lot of warning options turned on, then
fixing errors as they did appear. One was for example
O_SYNC to O_FSYNC. In the end it did run ok!

Not a "nice" way of porting applications I guess, but
it has worked for me. :-)

Good luck!

Best regards,
Paul