Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:35:41 -0300
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   make release: how I do make it into a bootable cd?

Hi,

	I know I should know better. Please do not flame me.  Well,
I did a good 1st make release on my little stable (cvsupped
07/08/2000) machine. I have disc[12] under cdrom. Everything looks
fine. But .... (there is always a but)

	Does anyone have a 'burn the CD' cookbook? This is what I
have so far (pretty obvious); of course, the same applies to disc2.

	1) mkisofs -o disc1.iso -R -J disc1
	- create a filesystem with RockRidge and Joliet extensions
	2) cdrecord -v speed=s4 dev=something disc1.iso

	However, I have a few doubts:

	1) What sort of device should I use? cdrecord -scanbus is
not returning anything. I am trying to use an ATAPI recorder but
I do not know what to use. Besides, what should I use for my cdrom
reader? Trying /dev/acd0c for my recorder returns

--
Cdrecord 1.9 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.1) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
Schilling

---
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter> port 0xb800-0xb8ff mem
0xe8040000-0xe8040fff irq 5 at device 9.0 on pci0
ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
acd0: CD-RW <CD-RW CRX100E> at ata1-master using PIO3
cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
cd0: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.04> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
--- dmesg useful info

---
FreeBSD Fedaykin.here 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0: Sun Aug
7 14:13:58 BRT 2000     root@Fedaykin.here:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LIOUX
i386
--- uname -a

	1) (cont.) I could use burncd but I am bugged by the fact
that I can't use cdrecord. :) The devices are a Sony CRX100 CDR
and a Plextor Ultraplex 40max CDRom.

	2) How do I make it a full-fledged FreeBSD bootable
distribution CDRom? I mean, where do I get the el-torrito boot
image? How do I make it use it and then run sysinstall seamlessly?
Just like a disc1 from distribution.  Well, FreeBSD distribution
won't be comming to town anytime soon and I only have a 33.6K
connection to the internet; therefore, this would really prove
handy while I wait. Can I try the /boot/cdboot stuff or the
floppies/boot.flp as a boot image?

	3) Any tips to make it a complete distribution CDRom are
welcome.

	Regards,
		Mario Ferreira

ps: Looks like this belongs in, yet, another FAQ entry.