Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:57:52 -0400
From:      Gary Corcoran <garycor@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCP server over PPPoE server

Yesterday, I installed mpd 3.18 and managed to get it working
as a PPPoE server on my local LAN, to test my client.  Today,
I'm trying to get DHCP over PPPoE working, and not having much
success.

I shutdown my regular DHCP server over the em0 ethernet interface,
and tried starting up dhcpd to use the ng0 interface that gets
created by mpd.  It complains a little about em0 and ng0 using
the same subnet, but starts up and sits there, in debug mode
(so I can see all messages on the console).

My client starts up, successfully negotiates PPPoE and PPP and
the link comes up, then I start dhcpd on ng0 (if I try to start
it before the PPPoE link comes up, it complains there is no ng0, even
though it shows up in ifconfig) and I can see my client sending out
DHCP INFORM messages, encapsulated in PPPoE, but I get *nothing* printed
from the DHCP server, as if it has not seen the DHCP messages at all.

Should dhcpd be using a different interface than ng0 ?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary