Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 2014 11:22:27 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEW_XORG EQ overflow problems

--cmuaqq4o7Xl9LnJ7q6m3tEJUKTJoh5tL6

On 26.07.2014 20:17, Toms Bergmanis wrote:
> Hi.

Hello!

> With the NEW_XORG repo i decided to again try out how my system behaves=

> with the new drivers. As usual everything pretty much as expected (work=
ing
> drivers), but sometimes Xorg (or something from the graphics stack) lik=
es
> to act up and my pc reboots - screen image gets scrambled and my pc reb=
oots
> or restarts the X server (on one occasion the system just froze). Usual=
ly
> this happens on heavy load - copying files from backup and/or viewing s=
ome
> 1080p images on the web.
>=20
> (...)
>=20
> [  2147.193] [mi] EQ overflowing.  Additional events will be discarded
> until existing events are processed.
> [  2147.193] [mi] These backtraces from mieqEnqueue may point to a culp=
rit
> higher up the stack.
> [  2147.193] [mi] mieq is *NOT* the cause.  It is a victim.
> [  2156.345] [mi] EQ overflow continuing.  100 events have been dropped=
=2E

As the message says, this is not the real error. Somehow, the X.Org
server can't stand the flow of incoming events. Our Radeon driver may be
too old for your GPU generation and it may lack some optimizations.

If you feel like trying experimental stuff, here are some ideas:

    1. Newer X.Org-related ports are available in the xorg-dev
       Subversion repository. You could checkout the following branch:
       https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/branches/experimental/

       From that checkout, rebuild graphics/libdrm, graphics/libglapi,
       graphics/libGL and graphics/dri. I think that's enough.

    2. You could checkout my "kms-drm-update-38" Git branch:
       https://github.com/dumbbell/freebsd/tree/kms-drm-update-38

       In this checkout, you can just rebuild the kernel (a 11-CURRENT
       kernel). Keep your world untouched, so that you can come back
       easily to plain 10.0-RELEASE.

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron