Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:33:48 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        <sobotka@axess.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with large drives?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry Sobotka" <sobotka@axess.com>
To: "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 12:35 PM

> Josh Paetzel wrote:
> >
> > You are not having a compatability issue with that drive and FreeBSD.  I
am
> > using that exact drive on one of my boxes as we speak.  Perhaps you have
> > bad boot image on one of your floppies....I have run into that in the
past.

> Thanks for the confirmation which rules out the drive. I've eliminated
> bad floppies as they work fine on my other machine (both the original
> set and fresh ones I made to doublecheck). This box has a USB hub and
> ports, which I gather the generic kernel doesn't support. Could that be
> triggering the probe freeze? Enough port/modem detection routines have
> locked up this machine that I now always opt for manual input if
> possible. Is the probe a shell script and, if so, where can I find it to
> see what it's doing?
>
> Henry

I don't know if this is valid FreeBSD dogma, but when I encounter problems
that I think are related to device probes I start by disabling all of the
onboard I/O stuff on the motherboard in the BIOS that I can....I ususally
run SCSI drives, so I disable the IDE controllers, the USB, the serial
ports, the parallel port and so forth.  I try to boot with just my SCSI
controller and video card.  From the boot floppies, if the boot works, you
will get to a menu that will let you get into a visual boot config screen.
Use this to disable all of the probes that you don't need and then let it
try to boot.  You can then add stuff back in one at a time until things
break.

Josh