Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 14:28:53 -0500
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        "Andrew" <acs@fl.net.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User PPP and Internal PCI Modem

> > 2) get fbsd to probe for other IRQs (from above, irq 9 not in bitmap of
> > probed irqs)
> >
> > Can you suggest which I should do (with instructions)?
>
> I'd go for option 2 but I really dont know...hopefully someone else here
> has a better understanding.
>
> One idea may be that the modem is plug and play...you could try enabling
> plug and play in your kernel and then not specifiying any irq etc for
> sio2.

The modem is PnP. I was not aware that this would make a difference,
especially if the system recognized it without setting the OS to PnP.

...BUT....
After working through all this hassle and misery, the whole time staring at
the two valid serial ports on my system, I just went ahead and bought
an external modem. And, everything works fine. Got PPP running in
no time and it works like a charm.

The real hold-up was FBSD recognizing the PCI modem as a serial port.
Something I was not able to figure out.
In addition, all email sent to me from others suggested an external modem
for various reasons (just took me a while to accept this advice and
cough up the extra dough.)

So, my question is, does anyone out there have an internal PCI modem
installed and working with FBSD??
If so, I am curious as to what you had to do to get it working.
If not, consider this case closed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Jim