Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:48:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic: memory modified after free

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> Running 5.0-RC as of yesterday on i386. background fsck was in progress,
> but other than that system was idle. Logged in as root on the console, had
> cd'd to a ports directory. (note that it panics almost instantly when
> using the console, but lasts upto 10 minutes when in use over ssh)
> Running "make deinstall" triggered this panic:
>
> Memory modified after free 0xc1891c00(1020)
> panic: Most recently used by none
>[snip backtrace]
> The machine seems perfectly stable in single user mode. It also seems
> pretty stable at the moment with linux emulation, usbd, sendmail, ipv6,
> nfs server and moused enables commented out of rc.conf. I will try to add
> one at a time tonight to determine which is at fault.

Update: I re-cvsupped (to 19 Dec 14:00 GMT) , and recompiled world and
kernel. I can no longer cause the panic. I then (out of interest) dropped
back to the old kernel that was panicing (18 Dec 12:00 GMT), but run with
the new world, and could not recreate the panic. I therefore believe that
one of the userland binaries that I replaced was tickling the bug, and now
I have replaced that binary, the problem no longer occurs.

So, unless anyone can think of a better reason for this, I suspect there
is a kernel use-after-free bug laying dormant.

Gavin