Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:26:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why can't I check out RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE?

On Friday, 16 October 1998 at 19:30:50 -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> In article <19981017114052.Q469@freebie.lemis.com>,
> Greg Lehey  <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here or not.  Certainly I've
>> seen a difference between 2.2.6 and 3.0 RELEASEs.  With 2.2.6, I can
>> write:
>>
>> # cvs co -r RELENG_2_2_6_RELEASE world
>> cvs checkout: Updating .
>> cvs checkout: Updating CVSROOT
>> cvs checkout: Updating CVSROOT/commitlogs
>> cvs checkout: Updating doc
>> (etc)
>>
>> If I enter:
>>
>>   # cvs co -r RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE src
>>
>> it creates the directories CVS and src/CVS, apparently with the
>> correct contents, but doesn't check any modules out.
>
> Did you really wait until it finished, or did you get impatient and
> kill it?

I got impatient and killed it.  I had a similar problem with 2.2.7,
and in that case ISTR that I let it finish, and it didn't check
anything else out, so I assumed there was something wrong with what I
was doing.

> The first time you check out using a new tag, it goes searching
> through every file looking for the tag to make sure it's valid.
> Then it adds the tag to ${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT/val-tags and works
> quickly thereafter.

OK, it wasn't in val-tags, so I tried again, with

   cvs co -r RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE src

It took nearly 10 minutes, during which it created only src/CVS and
(correct) contents.  Then it started checking out normally.  It still
hasn't finished, but it has updated val-tags, so I'll assume it's a
quirk rather than a bug.  I'll put something in the book about it.

> I don't know why it doesn't find the tag sooner than it does.  I have
> a suspicion that it's searching the whole repository including the
> ports tree, which does not contain that tag.

It can't be that simple, since this time I checked out only src.

Greg