Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:32:58 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sound Problem.

* hawk <cyberhawk@home.com> [20010207 13:13]: writing on the subject 'Sound Problem.'
hawk> Hey all, im asking this on newbies because im sure other newbies have had this
hawk> same problem. Due to the fact *nix systems are becomming more and more
hawk> popular each and everyday, not only as high-end servers for startup companys,
hawk> but as well as the home market. Im also asking on the questions list because well
hawk> i need help ;)
hawk>
hawk> (blah blah, i cant belive i said that ;)
hawk> anyways.. heres my question.
hawk>
hawk> Clean installed FreeBSD 4.2 The Generic Kernel.
hawk> Now, how can i get sound on my Sound blaster 16b ISA (SB16b)
hawk> to play, using say, mpg123. Ive seen my friend do it (whom i cant contact as of now)
hawk> with no problems, however, well over a week of trying, i just cant get a single sound
hawk> to
hawk> play. Any help would be greatly apprciated. (it really is annoying to use windows for
hawk> mp3s ;)

You need to recompile a kernel with this 2 entries:

device sbc
device pcm

After that you need to

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV snd0

Verify that it was nicely detected by

cat /dev/sndstat

Try playing your MP3z (I use xmms to do that) and tell us if still doesn't work.

I hope you'll know howto compile a kernel.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
-Leo Tolstoy