Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:25:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PicoBSD questions

Sorry if this isn't the right place, but I didn't see a PicoBSD forum
anywhere...

I have a few questions that may or may not be really stupid, so please
bear with me.

I want to set up an old 486 as a gateway machine for a small internal
network to the @HOME service via a cable modem.  I've done this
successfully at my own home using FreeBSD and a couple of old SMC NICs.

The reason I want to use PicoBSD for this new setup is that it's for some
*really* computer-illiterate people, and all they want is to hook their 2
pc's up to their cable modem, and have some basic firewall protection.  I
figure PicoBSD is a good choice because if they need to reload the
firewall for whatever reason, all they will need to do is power off the
486 and power it back up again.  No worries about hard disks, filesystems,
etc. and the floppy can be write-protected.

Now the questions:

1.  What version of PicoBSD should I use?  Network (router-like) or Router
version or what?

2.  How on earth do I configure PicoBSD so it loads the right drivers (ed0
and ed1 on 0x280 IRQ 3 and 0x300 IRQ 10, respectively)
So far all I can do is boot into visual config mode and manually set up
the correct IRQ's etc, but I can't find any way to make these changes
permanent...

3.  Is there any editing tool on PicoBSD?  I need an editor to edit the
config files, but I can't find vi or anything in the PicoBSD system.

4.  Will PicoBSD support the DHCP requirements of @home?
    More specifically, @home requires not only a DHCP client, but also
send the hostname (ca12345o) and request broadcast address, default
gateway and a few other things I set in my /etc/dhclient.conf on FreeBSD.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.
Please forward any replies to my email address - I don't subscribe to
-questions because of the volume.

Thanks

- M -