Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:46:55 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recompilation of source codes

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> Wing Tim wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Derek,
> >   I've done "make buildkernel" in the directory "/usr/src", will it compile
> > the things (where there're lots of *.c and *.h files) in "/sys/netinet"
> > automatically?
>
> If you've changed files that are not part of the kernel, you'll have to
> run "make buildworld" and "make installworld".

Actually, you don't need to do the "make installworld", and you may
not want to. "make buildkernel" uses the obj files in /usr/obj if they
are there, and "make buildworld" is enough to install those. Of
course, you should install the world, the kernel and run mergemaster
before going production if you've changed the sources.

If you haven't updated the system sources, then start where Bill said:

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

and follow the "building and installing a custom kernel" link, then
use procedure #1.

	<mike