Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:57:20 +1000
From:      "Andrew Johns" <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        <Robert3085@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <schaefer@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Install Question from a newbie.....

You don't want to format the D: drive - that will format it as DOS
FAT-style partition, which you can see that you've done from the 'WD0S2
fat' line.  You can also tell that it is the right one as it's size is
~600,000 blocks (512 bytes per block) => ~300 Meg - dumb fat overhead
and allowing for drop in 'size' when converting from blocks to Meg =>
293 MB.  There are a few blocks left over at the very end of the disk
(2000 blocks ~= 1 MB) which you can't use (I won't go into why, you just
can't).

So, back to the question - use the wd0s2 partition to install FreeBSD
on - I'm not sure but I think that it will blow away the (fat) D: drive
for you and install itself over the top.

Cheers and welcome to FreeBSD.

AJ