Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:58:21 -0700
From:      Chris Doherty <cdoherty@nttmcl.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound card setup?

hi--

I'm running FreeBSD-3.1 with a SoundBlaster card (I have the model number,
but their website doesn't have model # <-> model name listings). I believe
it's PnP.

somewhere, are there instructions for how to get audio support up and
running. all I've been able to find are the sys/i386/conf/LINT,
sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS, and sys/i386/isa/sound/sound.doc files; those seem
to date back only to 2.1 or 2.0, and adding the drivers that they suggest
doesn't seem to have worked (e.g. mpg123 complains "can't open /dev/dsp",
even though it's there and the permissions are ok, or I just can't find an
output device that it can use).

I've checked all the web pages I could find, with no luck. is there a
resource I haven't been able to find, or is this part lacking in
documentation? help? :-)

a thousand thanks,
Chris
cdoherty@nttmcl.com

PS--I was going to check archives of BSD newsgroups, but DejaNews doesn't
seem to be useful any more...