Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 07:16:50 -0500
From:      "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@jumpweb.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD on Alpha Multia (

I've got a DEC Multia up reasonably well minus a few problems.  I'm
generally running a the late March SNAPSHOT with a 3.1 Release userland.

Issue 1 - 4.x Kernel (any snapshot from February through 3/26 and CURRENT)
doesn't read the keyboard. 3.1-RELEASE/GENERIC kernel does.  The console
isn't locked because output to /dev/console works.  Obviously the getty is
on /dev/console and not /dev/ttyvN on the Multia.  Any pointers for Keyboard
parameters to play with?  I've tried doing a diff of 3.1-RELEASE versus 4.x
but the keyboard code has changed a lot.  Note that NumLock/CapsLock toggle
on and off, just no input.  Other wierdnesses are that the load program sees
KB input, upper and lower case, but ? comes through as / and some other
similar wierdness.

Issue 2 - Random crashes.  With 3.1-RELEASE the system will randomly just
restart without any messages from the kernel or a core dump.  It's pretty
consistently related to lots of disk activity especially with more than one
process.  With the latest 4.x SNAPSHOT things are much more stable and it's
only done that once.

Issue 3 - Are kernel coredumps supposed to work on the Alpha port yet?  I've
never had one occur on a crash.
--
Mark Gooderum
mark@jumpweb.com