Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:41:18 -0400
From:      Thomas Stromberg <thomas@stromberg.org>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing b/s via camcontrol (was invalid sector size 520)

>   If you read the manpage for "camcontrol", the section on the format
> option specifically mentions changing the sector size.  If looks like
> you
> should change the sector size in the modepage, then issue the format
> command.

Thanks for the heads up on camcontrol. It looks exactly like what I
need.  I went through /usr/share/misc/scsi_modes to see what modepage
needs to be edited for bytes/sector. It looked like 0x05 is what I
needed. So, I tried:

# camcontrol modepage da0 -m 5 -e
camcontrol: error sending mode sense command

I then check the list of valid mode pages camcontrol finds:

# camcontrol modepage da0 -l
0x01    Read-Write Error Recovery Page
0x02    Disconnect-Reconnect Page
0x03    Format Device Page
0x04    Rigid Disk Drive Geometry Page
0x07    Verify Error Recovery Page
0x08    Caching Page
0x0a    Control Mode Page
0x0c    Notch and Partition Page
0x00    Vendor-Specific
0x00    Vendor-Specific

I noticed that codepage 0x03 contains sector/bytes data (and no others):

root@subedei (/home/helix)# camcontrol modepage da0 -m3
Tracks per Zone:  21
Alternate Sectors per Zone:  9
Alternate Tracks per Zone:  0
Alternate Tracks per Logical Unit:  21
Sectors per Track:  106
Data Bytes per Physical Sector:  520

So I try to use -e to edit it, but I only see Tracks per Zone, Alternate
Sectors per Zone, and Alternate Tracks per Logical Unit  in my editor. I
just tried this with another  Seagate drive on a production server of
ours and camcontrol returned "no editable entries".  Am I in the right
direction?

Thanks for your help btw. Once this gets settled, I'll be sure to add it
to the bsdwiki for the next person. Unfortunatly, my Sun U10 is
scsi-less. I've got an HP9000 and an Indigo^2 with SCSI, but no OS (two
of these drives, which also have this problem, are so I can get them up
and running again). SGI's fx.ARCS doesn't seem to be too friendly to the
sector size either.

/ Thomas Stromberg