Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:51:01 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Numard (Norberto Meijome)" <numard@smartmedia.com.ar>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What do i need to use X remotely?

--==_Exmh_-1017908356P

If memory serves me right, "Numard (Norberto Meijome)" wrote:

> i have a FreeBSD server in USA, and since i'm in Sydney,i've to telnet
> into it all the time :).
> I'm also using Linux here, so i was thinking how could i export the
> DISPLAY to my Linux (from X-progs. in FreeBSD, such as X-emacs,etc).
> Will it be fast over a 33.600 line (on my side, the other end has lots
> of bandwith).
> Also, what libs do i have to install on the freebsd side?

You might be able to get some performance improvement by running dxpc, a
compressing X Windows proxy.  There's a port for it:

/usr/ports/x11/dxpc

It does a fairly intelligent job of caching and compressing X protocol
messages, but of course YMMV.

Good luck,

Bruce.

PS.  The dxpc homepage at http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~zvonler/dxpc/ has a
source RPM, which might be useful for your Linux box.

--==_Exmh_-1017908356P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNazB1KjOOi0j7CY9AQGX4gP/T0nbLZeNf+PqxbJCnbPC77TeUTC7NWNF
lGBzjG1qT6PWDtnmJxTnXopVRkgN2EndsXgjDykJjpBa/9GL4fXWRWCKI48WdnVE
KRrETBdSGYqFSHnCJGf2l/XM4ayuNZeEcKl6BUQ7YTC61ORCZslbwfAi8BSa+LB2
7eaVr5BbzfI=
=4b1q
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1017908356P--