Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:09:57 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex), eivind@yes.no, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates & fsck

I've been seeing similar fsck behavior here.

I was trying out the various softupdate patches (the latest patches
work).  With the earlier patches, I'd start make -j8 buildworld on the
console and it would crash in about 10-15 minutes.  Using X at the same
time seemed to make it crash a lot faster.  This was just days before
the CAM integration (Sept 14 and earlier).

After the crash, it would detect and automatically "fsck -p" the
volumes, then mount and run.  Occasionally, some directory, usually
under the /usr/obj volume, could not be deleted and it wasn't a
schg-flags dir.  The only fix was to go back to single-user mode, run
"fsck -y" which then complains about and fixes a directory with the
wrong inode count (1 instead of 2 I think) then continues.  After the
2nd fsck (perhaps after the 1st too - my memory is already fuzzy),
there would be stuff under lost+found.

There was definitely stuff appearing under lost+found with softupdates
enabled.

(Right now I'm having troubles with the new 7880 CAM code and so can't
replicate the earlier problems, plus the new softupdates patches seem
to be working or at least working around the real problem. :-)

	-- Parag