Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:29:50 -0600
From:      mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony GDM-1692B in text mode?

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:40:47 -0600 (CST) Steve Price wrote
>Has anybody had success in getting a Sony GDM-1962B monitor
>to work in text mode?  Anybody know what an appropriate
>'modeline' would be for X's config file?  Anybody have one
>working with XInside's version 1.2 server?

Is this a 19" trinitron monitor with 3 BNC connectors on the back,
and sync-on-green?  If so, then I might be sitting in front of
an HP-packaged one right now.

Upshot is, ther is no way that I know of to get it working _with
a standard video card_ in text mode.  There is a company that
sells special video cards which will drive fixed-frequence graphics
displays in VGA text mode, but I was under the impression that
they are expensive and not supported in XFree86, but that
may have changed.

Other than that, I'd be glad to send you my modeline -- if we
have the same monitor, that is....

BTW: If your monitor is what I think it is, what sort of hardware
are you using to connect a VGA card to it?
--
Chris Mikkelson         	mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
U of M Tuba and Student    "Life is too short for windows..."