Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 22:05:01 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest gnucash has runtime problems?

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> -On [20010906 10:47], Maxim Sobolev (sobomax@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> >> I removed all dependent ports which I could find and rebuilt the entire
> >> thing and keep getting:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Gmm, strange - it works here like a charm, and so far gnome@FreeBSD.org
> >has not been filled up with angry "Hey Gucash is borken" reports, which,
> >believe me, is a good indicator that there is some local configuration
> >problem on your box. Have you tried to remove and rebuild/reinstall
> >from scratch all packages gnucash relies upon (slib, guile, etc.)?
>
> See my sentence from my first email.
>
> And please explain `local configuration problem'.
>
> Only thing I did was move from late 4.3-STABLE to what is now called
> 4.4-WHATEVER.
>
> I checked out an entire fresh ports dir.
>
> Tried building gnucash with all my old ports installed.  Didn't work.
> pkg_delete'd gnucash and every single dependency and all their
> dependencies and restarted the build from scratch, so I got the latest
> and greatest gnome ports and whatnot for dependencies and the end result
> didn't work.
> I even verified if any stray directories got left laying around and if
> there were removed them.

Have you removed share/guile directory? I'm recalling that in your previous
message you tell that there is a slib --> ../slib symlink, while latest
revisions should create slib --> /usr/local/share/slib symlink instead. This
might be a problem. Just to make sure, I've performed a virgin build of Gucash
on my 4.3-STABLE box (base system last updated on 1 July) and confirmed that
gnucash works just fine OOB.

> So, please explain some more, what could I do more to make a port's life
> easier?  I think I already went a long way, more than the average user
> would be able to/bother to do.

Join Gnome group ;). Frankly speaking currently we have only 2 FreeBSD
developers working on it, which obviously far from enough considering huge size
of the crap and complex dependencies between components.

> >> [reason I am not sending this to gnome@ is because it appears to be
> >> aliased to /dev/null]
> >
> >What makes you think so? So far, despite chronical lack of people,
> >feedback times on gnome@FreeBSD.org is within a reasonable period.
>
> My experience contradicts this, e.g. no response to previous emails I
> sent in the past.

I'm really sorry if so. I'm trying to do whatever is possible, but my resources
(both time and CPU cycles) are severely limited. :(((

-Maxim