Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:55:36 -0700
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@sub21-156.member.dsl-only.net>, "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Subject:   Self extracting archives (was: Re: vmware)

On 10 Oct 2002, Nathan wrote:

> I've had people tell me that unzip may work sometimes, but under what
> conditions I'm not sure.
>
> I saw the pkzip port, but I couldn't find info anywhere telling me that
> it would extract .exe formated self-extracting archives.  Have you used
> either of these tools recently to extract these types of pernicious
> archives?

Nathan,

Since a .exe self-extracting archive is just an archive with a simple
extraction program prepended to it, it is possible to make one out of ANY
type of archive.  You could even make a self-extracting .tar.gz if you
really wanted to.  So the answer to when unzip will and won't work is
this:  Unzip will only work if the archive attached to the extractor is a
.zip file.

Obviously, this means the key to opening any self-extracting archive is
figuring out which type of archive it is.  I've found that most archives
in the Windoze world (expecially installers) are usually either .zip or
.cab archives.  So if unzip won't do it for you, I'd suggest having a go
with cabextract (/usr/ports/archivers/cabextract) and seeing where that
gets you.

Dave